The Haxe project have several licenses covering the different part of the sources. All of these licenses are well-known open-source licenses. The idea of having several licenses is to permit everybody to use Haxe with no restriction, and to still keep Haxe enhancements open-source.
Here are the different licenses used by Haxe :
- the Haxe compiler is released under the GPL license. This is made to ensure that Haxe will remain open-source and that people distributing modified Haxe versions will have to distribute the source code changes as well. the Haxe compiler is entirely written by Haxe author Nicolas Cannasse. The license of the compiler does NOT affect the license of your source code, so you don't have to open-source your code when using Haxe.
- the Haxe libraries are released under a two-clause BSD license. It means that you can use these libraries at your own will and risks. A more liberal license than the GPL was needed since we want you to be able to use Haxe libraries while writing closed-source code.
- the Neko runtime used by Haxe on the server-side is LGPL. It means that you can use it from a closed-source program but if you modify it you'll have to open source your changes.
List of Haxe distribution contributors
- Nicolas Cannasse
The BSD 2-Clause Licence
Copyright (c) 2005, the Haxe Project Contributors
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE HAXE PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HAXE PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
The Haxe compiler GPL License
(* * Haxe Compiler * Copyright (c)2005 Nicolas Cannasse * * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or * (at your option) any later version. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU General Public License for more details. * * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA *)