The Haxe project have several licenses covering the different part of the sources. All of these licenses are well-known free open source software licenses. The idea of having several licenses is to permit everybody to use Haxe with no restriction, and to still keep Haxe enhancements free and open source.
Here are the different licenses used by Haxe :
- The Haxe compiler is released under the GNU General Public License version 2. This is made to ensure that Haxe will remain free and open source. The license requires the users distributing modified versions of the Haxe compiler to also distribute the source code, licensed under the same license. Therefor distributing proprietary/non-free/not-open source forks of the Haxe compiler is not allowed.
The Haxe compiler is entirely written by Haxe author Nicolas Cannasse.
The license of the compiler does not affect the license of your own source code. If you use Haxe and the Haxe compiler it is not required that you release your work under a free open source software license.
- The Haxe libraries are released under a "two-clause" BSD license. This license grants you the right to use the libraries providing only that you include a copyright notice in the end-product. A more liberal license than the GNU General Public License was chosen here, allowing you to use the libraries in proprietary/non-free/not-open source software.
- The Neko runtime used by Haxe on the server-side is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1. This license, like the GNU General Public License, requires the users distributing modified versions of the Neko runtime to also distribute the source code, licensed under the same license. However, in some cases the license allows a used to use an unmodified version of the licensed code in proprietary/non-free/not-open source software.
List of Haxe distribution contributors
- Nicolas Cannasse
The Haxe compiler license
The Haxe libraries license
Copyright (c) 2005, the Haxe Project Contributors
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE HAXE PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HAXE PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.